Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Greetings from Prince Rupert, B. C.

This is the first chance I have had to get on the Internet since leaving Seattle last Friday. In a way, I have had withdrawal symptoms. It's amazing how much the Internet has taken over our lives! Today we are in port in Prince Rupert, B. C. Jerry and I walked around town - in pouring rain - and are now at the public library. It cost me a US dollar for an hour's worth of time. Checked my email. I had 47 messages - many were spam. Got the news that a new little boy cousin was born into our family yesterday. He is my cousin Linda's first grandson. Congratulations to Jessica and Jesh.

Sunday last we got the news that my dear little friend, Cassie, died. She was 95 years old. I met her 15 years ago on her 80th birthday. Her niece and nephew, Sandy and Jim, are on the cruise with us. Her funeral will be Wednesday after we return. I'm so happy that she is now in heaven. I look forward to seeing her again.

We're having a great time and have seen many, many beautiful sights. My favorites are two excursions: 1) whale watching in Juneau. A HUGE humpback whale surfaced about 10 feet from my open window on the boat. He had very bad breath! I got some good photos but won't be able to post any until I get back to the US. 2) A visit to a tea garden and glass blowing session in Skagway. Heidi, Janet and I went. We had a FABULOUS lunch in the tea room/solarium and then had a lesson in glass blowing. We each made a glass ornament. It was so much fun.

Yesterday morning we sailed in a fjord up to a glacier and the captain turned the ship around so that everyone could get a very close-up look, all the while there were spotters watching for ice bergs. We saw many, but thankfully didn't hit any. I saw "calving" a couple of times. This is what they call the chunks that fall into the ocean.

I'm really enjoying being with everyone. Yesterday Aurelia and I spent a couple of hours together while she napped. When Peder and Sarah returned to the room from swimming in the pool, as I was leaving their room, Aurelia held up her arms for me to take her. This is the first time she has shown she wanted to be with me.

We sailed in very rough seas yesterday - at least it was rough for my standards. We were out in the Pacific Ocean and the waves were about 12' to 15'. Jerry said I could tell Hans that I am now seaworthy. Lil was seasick all last night, but she is great today.

Peder has been competing in on-board karaoke and last night moved into the finalists. Tomorrow night will be the deciding performance. Up to now, I haven't been able to stay awake (competition starts each night at 10:45), but I will force myself to go tomorrow.

Our ship is large - 11 stories. All but two of our rooms are on the second floor. We've been able to do so many things together, and individually. The food: it's been wonderful! I've tried to be sensible in my choices so that I can fit into my office chair when I return to work. The fresh fruit is abundant, as are desserts, ice cream, burgers & fries and pizza (I haven't had this yet, but today may be the day), and wonderful entrees and breads. All of the above are available ALL DAY AND ALL NIGHT long. Can you imagine?

2 comments:

MamaD4 said...

I keep checking everyone's blogs every day, expecting to see an update. I thought there would probably be internet access on the ship. Hans usually has internet access while he's gone, though it can be spotty.

Thank you so much for the update! I can't wait to see the pictures.

Anonymous said...

Hi Aunt Donna,

I too, have been checking every day for a new post from someone. Thanks!

I'm so sorry about your dear friend Cassie. I know she was very special to you.

I second Rachel, I can't wait to see pictures. Especially, of Heidi!

Love ya!