Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Happy 94th Birthday, Cassie


My dear, sweet friend, Cassie, turned 94 today. I met her exactly 14 years ago when I was invited to her 80th birthday party at the home of her niece. A wonderful friendship was forged that day.

Oh, things have changed since then. Cassie did really well until a couple of years ago when health problems made it necessary for her to move to an assisted living home down in Rochester. Early this spring she had to be transferred to a nursing home due to complications with Alzheimer's Disease and just plain weakness. The distance makes it harder for me to see her as often as I'd like, but it has been a good move for her as Sandy and Jim, her nearest relatives, live there and have been the most important people in her life.

I got to see her Saturday, and was pleased that she remembered me. I wheeled her outside to enjoy the flowers and the nice, summer day. She just loved it - - said it was heavenly. I pray she had a good day today. Happy Birthday, Cassie, my dear friend. I love you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice, that you've been able to keep your friendship with Cassie all these years - in spite of her distance and disease. I trust you'll be able to continue your connection with her, and she with you, for many, many more years....(tho' I don't expect it will get any easier...). Pretty special... ;-D)