Thursday, May 15, 2008

Goings On In Stuttgart

I've had three great days here in Stuttgart so far. On Tuesday, after I landed in the morning, we drove to the base, unpacked my stuff, had lunch, and walked around the base to a park so the kids could play. We stopped in the commissary to buy a few groceries, and came home and had a wonderful dinner. It was so nice to see my family again. My granddaughter, Annika - now 2 years old - has changed more than Josiah, who turns 4 on Monday. Both of the kids are so cute! Late Tuesday night, my son Hans got home. He had been away on business. He took leave for the remainder of the days I am here. Isn't that nice?!

Wednesday we drove to another base where I had to get authorization to be here until Monday. While there we shopped a little and had lunch. In the afternoon we went to the Stuttgart Zoo. It was rather crowded and the temperature was warm, but we still had a good time. Today we took it easy in the morning and then Rachel and I went shopping in a gardening shop and a big store that was sort of like a super Target - and yet different. They have a GPS in their car so we don't get lost.

Tomorrow we are driving to the Alps to stay in the Edelweiss Lodge and Resort. It is on the border of Germany and Austria. We'll return to Stuttgart on Saturday. Sunday we are having Josiah's 4th birthday party. This will be the first birthday party I have ever attended for any of my three grandchildren.

Monday I fly home. I am due to arrive in Minneapolis at 6:30 pm. It will be a long day for me as I leave here at 10:30 am, flying first to Munich, then to Chicago, and finally to Minneapolis. Stuttgart is 7 hours ahead of Minnesota. Thus, I will be landing at 1:30 am Tuesday (Stuttgart time) -- 15 hours of flying time. I'm glad I don't have to work until Wednesday.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Glad you are having fun!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your time to the fullest! You can always rest when you get home. Donna