Saturday, May 17, 2008

Fun Trip to Edelweiss Lodge and Resort

We got back from Garmisch, Germany a little while ago. The Edelweiss Lodge and Resort was lovely. From the deck on my room, I could see Zugspitze and its surrounding mountains. Josiah wanted to do a "sleep-over" with Grandma, so he and I shared a king-size bed. He's so funny - - he slept from side to side rather than head to foot. It was a good thing there was lots of room.

Last night the four of them spent some time in the hot tub and pool while I shopped a little in the gift store. It was another good time. Annika has no fear in the pool, so someone had to keep an eye on her at all times.

This morning we took a cable car to the top of Zugspitze, the tallest mountain in Germany. It's part of the Alps. I thought it was amazing. The cable car, though crowded, gave us a smooth ride, taking about 10 to 15 minutes to make the climb. Once above the tree line, the craggy rocks were extremely steep and dangerous looking. At the top, there is a ladder from which "brave" folks can climb to the very top tip of the mountain. There isn't enough money in this world for which I would attempt to make the climb, thank you very much. I was content to be on the sturdy platform and in the confines of the restaurant. Once on the platform, one can step over into Austria.

The altitude was 2964 meters, which is about 10,000 feet. My breathing was labored when I walked or climbed any stairs. Once seated in the dining room, I felt fine. While we were there, it began to snow. Josiah, Hans and Annika climbed up onto a big snow drift on the platform -- yes, in case you were wondering, there was a sturdy fence around the perimeter.

The drive through Austria and Germany back to Stuttgart was stunning. I love the chalet-type homes with gingerbread trim, flower boxes at the windows, carved shutters, flowering lilacs and apple trees, green grass, streams, snow-covered mountains, and beautiful churches with onion domes. How can you not want to visit this area????

1 comment:

Sonja said...

Hi Donna....I enjoyed your trip abroad. Neat...looks like you had a grand time. Glad you were able to take the trip and have safety as you traveled.
Sonja