Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Not Your Typical Office Party

























You hear of office parties where individuals drink too much and get rowdy – that’s not the case where I work. First of all, we had a very nice dinner on the 6th of this month. It was held in a beautiful floral shop – the most well-known in the twin cities and the food served was French. Then today we had the party in our office building which consists of a potluck and games. There was a new twist this year, the vice president of our fiction department and the managing editor of our youth department rolled and baked lefse, so we were treated to lefse right off the griddle!
Just last Saturday my Aunt Liz gave me an English plum pudding to bring to the party– the recipe was my great-grandmother’s and has been in our family well over one hundred years. This morning before work I made the frothy vanilla sauce to accompany it and one of my co-workers – a designer – created labels to place next to my dishes. You see, many in our office are of Scandinavian descent, so I wasn’t sure they would know what plum pudding was. But one individual told me he hadn't had any plum pudding for 30 years - he said his mother used to make it every year. I was so pleased that every morsel of it was eaten! Way to go, Aunt Liz. It was a hit!
One of the games involved teams of 2 men who had to gift-wrap a telephone book with gift wrap, tape and ribbon – using only one hand – the left hand if the person is right handed. It was hilarious. The photo shown is my boss Paul (in the red shirt) wrapping with Alex. Our department lost the contest.
Only three more Christmas parties to go. I’m not sure I’m going to make it.

No comments: