Tuesday, December 18, 2007

ANOTHER Christmas Party

L to R: Grandma, Katie, Rosy's mother, Rosy
Rosy is in the center, row one.

I had another Christmas party last night. This one was for the One by One program in which I tutor Rosy. The students as well as their family members were invited. Rosy brought her mother, grandmother, and little sister, Katie, who is 13 months old.

It was nice getting to sit down with Rosy's family - she being the translator. Her mother and grandmother understand some English; her grandmother speaks a few words in English - probably about as many words as I speak in Spanish! The menu was some sort of chicken burrito with various toppings and Christmas cookies. Knowing me, you already know that I ate before the party. My adventures in eating are mainly in the desserts department. Otherwise, I basically like American food: meat, potatoes, vegetables, and a few hotdishes.

The place was a-buzz with chatter, people seemed to be having a good time. Following the dinner, awards were given for perfect attendance and achievement. Then the children sang two Christmas carols in English: Joy to the World and Silent Night. Following that, the parents were invited to sing along with Silent Night, first in English and then in Spanish (the words were printed out for everyone). I thought it was just beautiful!

One part that thrilled me was the announcement that English was being offered to the mothers on Tuesday mornings. To my surprise, both Rosy's mother and grandmother signed up for the classes!

When it was time to go home, I hugged Rosy's family and wished them Feliz Navidad, to which her grandmother replied, "Feliz Navidad. Merry Christmas. Next year in English!" They are so sweet.

No comments: