Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day Parade




Austin boasts of SPAM, not parades. Regardless, my family has made it a tradition to travel there each Memorial Day, when possible, to witness the small parade and observe the dedication of the wreaths at the cemetery in commemoration of the veterans of the past as well as the current service men and women. Today was a beautiful day - blue sky with puffy white clouds and pleasant temperatures. Joining us this year were my cousins Pat and Linda, and Linda's granddaughter, Claire. I was so proud of Claire, Aurelia and Felix as they stood, hands over hearts, while waving their little flags as the American flag and veterans and scouts passed by.

Later on at the cemetery at my mother and father's grave, I mentioned it was my dad's 104th birthday today. Claire quietly began singing "Happy Birthday" and we all joined in. It was really sweet.



1 comment:

Peder said...

The 4th of July parade is a much bigger deal in Austin.