Saturday, May 19, 2012

Happy 8th Birthday, Josiah!




Eight years ago today I got a new title: Grandma. Hans called me from San Diego (I was visiting Heidi in Seattle at the time) to tell me Josiah Snelling had been born. Both Josiah and Rachel were doing well. Letting his message sink in, I thought, "Wow! I'm now a grandma!" Josiah will always be special to me - my first grandchild, and also my godson.

Looking back, I have to admit I didn't really know what to expect. My only grandma, my mother's mother, died when I was six years old, so to remember how I felt about her was tough - really tough. Was she jolly? Did she like to hold me in her lap? Did she come to visit me? Did I stay over night at her house? To be honest, I don't know. I have one memory of her, and that was seeing her at my Aunt Ginny's wedding when I was five years old. I had the example of my children's grandma, Erna (their dad's mother), and my dear Aunt Liz. So I tried to take the best parts of their relationship to my kids and make it part of me. And for the rest, I've had to be myself.

I found this little poem that I think embodies my thoughts about being a grandma.


What Is A Grandma? 

Author: Barbara Cage
A grandma is warm hugs and sweet memories.
She remembers all of your accomplishments and forgets all of your mistakes. She is someone you can tell your secrets and worries to, and she hopes and prays that all your dreams come true. She always loves you, no matter what. She can see past temper tantrums and bad moods, and makes it clear that they don't affect how precious you are to her. She is an encouraging word and a tender touch. She is full of proud smiles. She is the one person in the world who loves you with all her heart, who remembers the child you were and cherishes the person you've become.

Happy Birthday, Josiah!


1 comment:

MamaD4 said...

Thanks for the nice post Donna! You have been an amazing Grandma to your grandchildren. We are very blessed to have you. I just wish, as always, that their grandparents were right around the corner, like mine and Hans' were.