Thursday, August 30, 2007

Summer Is Winding Down


The biggest sign for me that summer is winding down is the end of summer hours where I work. From the week before Memorial Day until this coming weekend, if we get our 40 hours worked by noon on Friday, we are free to leave. It is a very nice perk; it makes it seem as though we have a 3 day weekend. Here's the down side: staying until 5 or 5:30 next Friday. For me it seems like 5:00 will never come! Oh well.

Another sign is the great Minnesota "get together," also known as the state fair. I'm excited about going tomorrow afternoon with a friend of mine. We like a lot of the same things, so it will a good time. As for food, much is available. Some of the options are: Spam burgers, Spam/cheese curds (both new this year), pork chop on a stick, fried pickles, scones with jam, mini donuts, sweet corn on a stick, Belgian waffle on a stick - dipped in chocolate, corn dogs, hot dish on a stick, sloppy joes on a stick, cheese curds, salt water taffy, kettle corn, lingonberry ice cream, fresh cut French fries, Mrs. Stewart's chocolate chip cookies, fresh plums, plus many more. I'm not sure what I'll have to eat, but I'm pretty sure it will be tasty.

A sign of summer winding down I do not like is the sun setting earlier each day. Tonight it set at 7:54. That's an hour earlier than evenings just 5 or 6 weeks ago. I won't mention what that makes me think about.

I sure enjoyed this summer. I traveled to Rhode Island, Rochester, St. James, and Chicago. I wish I could have fit a trip to Seattle in there, but it didn't work out. At least Heidi got to come home for a few days. One huge event that occurred this summer was the birth of my granddaughter, Aurelia. I've only seen her once so far, but I plan to see her again this weekend and am really looking forward to that.

Happy Labor Day weekend, everyone!

No comments: