Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Minneapolis Institute of Arts

This sculpture of "The Veiled Woman" impressed me! The ferns are woven. Lovely!

This floral arrangement was done by a woman from my church. Notice how the vessel is a boat. When you enlarge the photo (double click on it), you can see the straw hat representing one of the fishermen, complete with a fishing pole. The red blooms are the two men in red.

The vessel used for this arrangement represents the ship. Fascinating!


On Sunday I attended the Art in Bloom at the Minneapolis Institute of Art. It was a beautiful event. This year the theme was Japan. Hundreds of volunteers - some individual artists, some garden clubs, chose one of the pieces of art on display at the Institute, and create a floral arrangement that mimics the art piece. They use vessels that resemble part of the art work. A huge variety of flowers and mosses and pieces of wood make up the creation. One of the problems with this year's show was the eruption of the volcano in Iceland which caused flights to be canceled - flights with European flowers. Substitutions had to be made, but to my eyes, everything was gorgeous!

Nanc and I tried on a couple of the Japanese kimonos at one display and posed in the doorway of a little Japanese house. Unfortunately, the dark background of the house is difficult to see.

This was my second visit ever to the art institute. Both times I've been there only for a short time. I have promised myself to return when I can be a little more leisurely. If you haven't been there, you should go.

No comments: