Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Alps and Garmisch

Zugspitze

Annika and yours truly in one of the gardens in Garmisch.

Aren't these mice cute! Annika is much cuter!!

I love the Bavarian paintings on the buildings.

So many cute kids clothes.

The Alps are seen at the center of the photo.
Annika gazing at Zugspitze.
One of the most beautiful sights in Germany is down in Garmisch where the German Alps meet the Austrian Alps. In this setting is the beautiful Edelweiss Lodge and Resort. For the past three Mays, I have been privileged to go there with Rachel and Hans and my sweet grandchildren.

This year the weather was a bit cooler than before, but it was still very nice. We got there Tuesday afternoon and stayed there until just before 11 today. The view outside our windows was the Alps, including Zugspitze, the tallest mountain in the German Alps. A few times during our stay, one could see the entire mountain.
On Wednesday Rachel, Annika and I went downtown to shop in the charming downtown of Garmisch. I had in mind to buy a Bavarian sweater, as I did last year, but this year they were too expensive for me. I saw many beautiful things, but settled on only a couple of small items - a pretty candle and some napkins.
We went to the pool the two evenings we were there - including sitting outside in the giant hot tub where at one end the view is the Alps. You just don't get that in Minnesota.
We tried to take Will into the pool last night, but he didn't like it at all. Rachel and I took turns sitting out with him - and he was excited to see the children at play.


This whole experience was very nice, and I really appreciate getting to share this experience with them.

No comments: