Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Hooray for the Red, White and Blue!


It's a proud day for the United States of America - the coming together of millions of people here, to witness the inauguration of the new President of our country. It was a peaceful, emotional day, full of references to one of my favorite presidents, Abraham Lincoln. In fact, the china used at the inaugural luncheon for dignitaries today was supposedly a replica of the china chosen by Mary Todd Lincoln. (I would have loved to have eaten from it.)

I didn't get to watch as much of the telecast as I would have liked (I refused to take a personal day off), but took an extended lunch period and watched both the Vice President and the President take their oaths of office, plus got to hear the beautiful rendition of "Tis a Gift to Be Simple, 'Tis a Gift to be Free."

Over the past few days, I have loved hearing the accounts of some of our Black brothers and sisters and what this moment means to them and would have meant to their forefathers. For many, it was an impossible dream. It speaks well of our nation to go beyond color and elect a man with vigor and vitality to lead us through the next four years. He has a HUGE job ahead of him, and no doubt he will face criticism (isn't that only natural?). I didn't vote for him, but I am happy with the unity that has come about since he won the election. I love how he says, "The United States of America," instead of just "America." The emphasis on "united" hasn't been used much lately. Let's include him and his family in our prayers.

No comments: