Saturday, February 16, 2008

Dealing with Guilt

I have been trying to find a time to go to southern Minnesota to visit my little friend, Cassie, who is now in a nursing home. Today was the first Saturday I have had free in a long time. I woke up this morning, fully intending to drive down for the day, but as I wrote to many of you earlier, I decided against it when I learned that my brother and sister had plans today. I wanted to be able to see them as well as visit Cassie. Well, after cleaning my home, I headed out to buy a news paper, and while sitting in the parking lot, I thought, "It's really a nice day. We haven't had that many. It would be good to drive down and see Cassie, even if I couldn't see Janet and Jerry." So I phoned Sandra, Cassie's niece, and she told me she would be happy to meet me at the nursing home. I was so happy I had decided to go.

I pulled up to the nursing home just as Sandra was getting out of her car. We went inside and found Cassie sound asleep in her recliner chair. Sandra tried and tried to wake her, but she was in a deep sleep. Even tickling her nose with the tail of a stuffed animal didn't wake her. Apparently she sleeps most days and is awake at night. Anyway, I got to see her and she looked wonderful. She was fully dressed, and had a new perm which made her hair look very nice. I know Sandra will tell her I was there. I'll try to go down again soon, depending on the weather, of course. I don't want to be guilty of not seeing my friend who means so much to me.

I ended up getting to have dinner with Janet and Jerry and Sandra and Jim. So, it was a very nice day.

No comments: