Saturday, February 09, 2008

Batten Down the Hatches

New snow, winds in excess of 35 mph, temperature 16 degrees and falling = a blizzard. Yes, we're having another one. Warnings started a couple of days ago, allowing us time to stock up on groceries, run errands, and clear the calendar. I've done all of that and am happy to be able to stay indoors the rest of the day.

Thankfully we don't loose our phone connections or electricity, so life goes on in a normal pace. This morning I got to talk to Hans, Rachel, Josiah and Annika. I was especially happy to talk to the little ones because sometimes they don't feel very chatty. Today I conversed with Annika by asking her: what does a kitty say? a dog? a duck? a cow? a horse? a sheep? a giraffe? Now that last one is funny. You see, I'm not sure many people know the sound a giraffe makes, so last year Hans made up one. It's a cross between a roar and a loud shriek. Josiah has it down perfectly. So that's the sound he wanted to give Grandma when it was his turn to talk.

Even when the kids don't want to talk on the phone, I enjoy their voices in the background. For instance, today I heard Josiah say, "May I have some milk, please?" Rachel said to him, "Yes. That was very good, Josiah." He's not always that polite or patient, but it was fun for me to hear him when he was both.

Next week Annika turns two years old. I can hardly believe it. It seems Jerry and I were in Japan just a few months ago to see all of them. In a little over three months I'll get to see them again and can celebrate Josiah's four year birthday. I'm very excited about that.

No comments: