Thursday, January 31, 2008

Rosy's Birthday Celebration


Rosy, her mom, sister Katie


Tonight I went to Rosy's home with a birthday cake to celebrate with her and her family. I did not know they were planning on having dinner with me. But when I arrived, Rosy's aunt was cooking chicken and I noticed a salad on the counter. Rosy took my coat and asked me to come into the dining room.

Dinner was good, but spicy. I didn't want to hurt their feelings, so I partook. I managed to eat it. The chicken was good, but there was something in the salad that really had a bite. It could have been chopped jalepeno peppers; I'm not sure.

After dinner, Rosy put the candles on her cake and I lit them. All of us sang Happy Birthday to her, in English. She and her little one year old sister, Katie, blew out the candles. Much of the family's conversation is in Spanish. Thankfully Rosy and her aunt are able to translate for me. I have to say that her family is very nice. They are trying very hard to learn English.

One part of the gifts I gave Rosy were three books. She really liked them and started reading one of them to me. She does a great job at reading, sounding out the hard words. For the most part, she has good comprehension.

During our visit, I asked Rosy what she wants to be when she grows up. "A Teacher?" I asked. To which she replied, "a doctor." Oh, how I would love to help her wish come true. I asked her aunt to tell her mother what a good helper she is at One-by-One, and her mother replied (through her cousin), "she has a big heart." Each time I have been with Rosy and her family, I come away feeling blessed.

No comments: