Sunday, October 28, 2007

Operation Christmas Child


This afternoon I had my first outing with Rosy, the little girl I am tutoring at the One-by-One program. I picked her up at her home, and I got to meet her mother, father, little 10 month old sister, Katie, and her grandmother. Her aunt was there too, which was a blessing, as she speaks English.

Rosy and I went to Target to shop for Operation Christmas Child, which is a program started by Franklin Graham (Billy's son) and Samaritan's Purse. This program depends on individuals who donate items for children and teens around the world and given to them in shoe boxes at Christmas time.

We met my friend, Julie, also a tutor, and the little girl she tutors, Patti at Target. We went up and down several aisles, letting the girls choose things they thought other children would like to have. Many of the recipients have never owned a tooth brush or a pencil. Both little girls did a great job picking out toys and toiletries that will help fill many shoe boxes.

When I got Rosy back to her home, her father took a photo of Rosy and me, and I took one of her with her family. She is such a darling little girl - - so happy and appreciative.

Tomorrow night we have our harvest party at One-by-One. More photos to follow.

No comments: