Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Ladies Night Out

Barb, Sarah and Aurelia


Aurelia with Santa
Yum, yum. I like popovers!
Mailing her letter to Santa

Last night we ladies had a date: Sarah’s mom Barb, Sarah, Aurelia and I. Destination: downtown Dayton’s (Oh, I know, it’s called Macy’s now, but it will always be Dayton’s to me.). We went to the eighth floor display, A Day in the Life of an Elf, and had dinner in the Oak Grill on the Twelfth floor. I sat in the back seat next to Aurelia while in the car. It was so fun to hear her talk while we were downtown. She would point at things and say, “Look at that!” “Pretty lights.” When she saw a bill board of Santa, she said, “There’s Santa Clause, drinking!” She was right - - he was drinking a bottle of Coca Cola. It was so cute.

It was fun watching her look at the figures on display. I’m not sure she knew what to make of it. At one point she tried to climb up to get a closer look, but obeyed Sarah when told to come down. At the conclusion of the elves tour, we stopped in to see Santa. She walked right up to him and agreed to sit on his lap. I have to say that this Santa was sort of a dud. He didn’t laugh or interact with Aurelia at all, except to give her a button with his photo on it. It wasn’t because he was busy. We were the only ones there.

After seeing all there was to see in the display and gift shop, we had a very nice dinner . I enjoyed watching Aurelia eat her popover – dipping it into the honey butter many times.

It was a very nice way to spend an evening during the week of Christmas. Sarah and her mom are very close, and I felt honored to join them. Hopefully, this will become an annual tradition for us.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

It looks like a lot of fun. I might have to make popovers one o these days! I hope you are able to make it a tradition. Marshall and I will join you some year.

DD4 said...

I have very fond memories of you and me doing this same event, Heidi, and I would love to have you and Marshall join us.

Rachel, Josiah, Annika and I enjoyed the eighth floor display in 2007. Wow, that seems so long ago!