Thursday, September 04, 2008

Erna


This has been a very hard day on my kids and me, their father, and the extended family as their grandmother, my mother-in-law Erna, lies in a hospital bed, and not doing very well. It's especially hard for Hans and his family in Germany and Heidi and Chad in Seattle. There have been many phone calls back and forth; checking on flights; and much praying.

Erna has always been so kind to me. My first real memory of her was the week after my mother died. I was only 14. CeCe, who is now my now sister-in-law, was one of my best friends. She must have told her mom that for the first time in my life, I wouldn't be getting anything new for Easter - just days away. I remember Erna picking me up at my house and taking me shopping for a white pleated skirt and a lavender, short-sleeve sweater, which was the style then. I don't think she could really afford this, but she made the sacrifice to bring me some happiness. This memory has brought tears to my eyes today. Erna was always generous to me and our kids.

Erna, my thoughts and prayers have been with you these past few days. I pray that you are not suffering. I'm so glad that Peder got to come to be by your side today when the rest of us could not. Blessings on you.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your whole family.

Lindsey Kuehl