Sunday, March 30, 2008

I May Be Getting In Over My Head . . .

I may be getting in over my head, but I'm going to give it my best anyway. What is it, you ask? I have agreed to try to teach English to Rosy's mother and grandmother. Our first time together will be this coming Saturday.

Here's the background: I am a volunteer at the One by One program at a local church. My little student is Rosy, an adorable, sweet first grade girl. At the Christmas dinner for the students and their families, I sat with Rosy, her little sister, Katie, and her mother and grandmother. Following the dinner, an announcement was made inviting any of the women to sign up for English classes. Immediately Rosy's mother and grandmother signed up. They were so excited.

In January, I was invited to Rosy's house for her birthday, to have dinner with her and her family. At the dinner, I asked how the English classes were going. I should tell you, Rosy is our interpreter as I do not speak Spanish. She translated her mother's comment to me: "Some of the Hispanic women made fun of us because they know more English than we. Donna, will you be willing to teach us English?" How could I refuse? I have heard so many people make a statement to this effect: If they're (the Hispanics) going to live here, they should learn English! Well, I've had my eyes opened these past months. These people want to learn, but they don't always have the opportunity. So when they asked me, I agreed.

I am not, nor do I pretend to be, a trained teacher, but I do speak English, and I do care about Rosy and her family very much. I'm going to give it my best. Today I went to Barnes & Noble and purchased an English/Spanish book. Then I drove to the ABC store for teachers and picked up a small white board with lines for her mother and grandmother, and a larger one for me; markers and erasers, and a notebook and pencils for each of them. Lesson one will be on Saturday afternoon. I'll let you know how it goes. If you think of it, please say a little prayer for me.

6 comments:

Brian said...

Buena suerta!

MamaD4 said...

I think you will find it a rewarding task, especially as it sounds like you have very enthusiastic students. Maybe you'll end up learning a little Spanish in exchange. Hans' Spanish has been very useful, since it is so similiar to so many other languages. He was able to communicate with our Italian movers, for example. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

good for you.
Steve.

I Love Barbershop said...

Just want to say how proud I am of you for what you are doing for Rosy, and now for her Mother and Grandmother.

Anonymous said...

Donna - I tried to post a comment on your blog, but alas, it would not let me no matter what I did. I often have trouble with such things! Anyway, I just want to say how proud I am of you for stepping out in faith and doing something you've never done before! It's people like you who change the world one person at a time! I know God will pour out His blessings on you far and beyond what you even ask or think for your obedience! Let me know how things go! Blessings! Diane
(Diane is the founder of the One by One program)

Sarita said...

Wonderful! English as a Second Language is in my top five of teaching specializations.
Good luck and let me know if I can help in any way.