Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Happy Birthday, America!

I went to the Bloomington Summer Celebration/fireworks last night. They always hold it on July 3rd, probably so those who care to can go to the Minneapolis or St. Paul celebrations on the 4th. My friends and I got there at 5 and brought along "boxed lunches," sat on blankets, listened to 3 concerts (one for children, one made up of jazz and rhythm and blues - not my favorite kind of music, and then a beautiful concert by the Bloomington Symphony. They played numbers like "Stars and Stripes Forever" and "The 1812 Overture," plus "America the Beautiful" and "God Bless America"). The fireworks started at 10, and they are the only ones in the twin cities that are choreographed with music. Talk about wonderful! It was the most stunning display I have ever seen in person - equal to the big displays we see on TV from New York or Washington, D. C. I would estimate the crowd numbered around 12,000. The reaction from everyone was delightful.

The only thing I would do differently next time is to bring a lawn chair. I'm getting a wee bit old to be sitting on the ground 5+ hours! ;o)

Have a safe and happy 4th of July!

No comments: