Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Another Thrill

Tonight the phone rang. . . it was Rachel on the other end, calling from Japan. It seems they'd been to the post office today and my package had arrived. Josiah was so happy because he had received some new pieces to his train - and he wanted to say, "Thank you, Grandma!" He said it about three times - clear as a bell. His voice is so dear to me. Then I heard what sounded like crying, but it was actually shrieking - delightful shrieking - coming from my darling Annika. Then I heard her giggle. Rachel and Josiah were playing with her and she was so happy. Rachel said she is rolling from front to back to front and back and forth, all over the room. She is even trying to get up on her little knees - and she is only 5 months old! Do I sound like a proud grandma? You bet I am!

I know this happens in families, and it is happening in Hans and Rachel's - the kids' voices sound just alike. When I hear a sound in the background, I ask Rachel, "Was that Josiah?" No, it was Annika. It is music to my ears!

Rachel and the kids are doing fine, in spite of Hans being, as Josiah puts it, far, far away. I'm so proud of all of them.

Josiah melted my heart at the end of the call when I heard him say, "Bye bye, Grandma." Oh, Josiah- you, your mommy and your sister made my day. Thank you! Thank you very much.

1 comment:

MamaD4 said...

I'm sure glad that my mother-in-law isn't someone hard to please...