Saturday, August 03, 2013

My Birthday

Today is my birthday. I'm thankful that another year has rolled around, and that I still have good health, a job I really like, and a wonderful family, plus many dear friends. God is Good, and I am blessed.

Peder called earlier this week and asked what I wanted for my birthday. I told him I would really like him and his family to take me to Minnehaha Falls in Minneapolis. I hadn't been there for 50 years. Oh, I know it's not that far from where I live and work, but I never think to go there and wasn't even sure how to find it (without using Google). "No problem. We can do that."


Minnehaha Falls

The falls are running really full this summer due to the rains we had in June and July. I was told sometimes by August, there is little water going over. This is part of Minnehaha Park—one of the first state parks in the United States when it was purchased by the state of Minnesota in 1889. In it are a couple of sculptures – one is a large mask of Chief Little Crow. It sits on a pole near the falls. On the other side of Minnehaha Creek, which becomes the 53 foot falls, is the life size sculpture of Hiawatha carrying Minnehaha. (double click to enlarge)



In the afternoon I went to Waconia with my friend Bonnie and her mom and their mutual friend. We enjoyed the drive out there and had a delicious lunch at Lola's Boathouse - right on the shores of Lake Waconia. This was really fun!

No comments: