Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Happy Birthday, Hans!

Two years prior, our hopes were dashed when the miscarriage occurred. What went wrong? Would it happen again? There was a lot of uncertainty. After discussions with my doctor, we had a bit more hope.

Fast forward to 1970. Under the careful supervision of a new doctor in a new state, our first was born—at 3:02 am on September 5. He weighed 6 pounds, 13 ounces, and was 19 inches in length. What to name him? Hans David.

He has gone on to fulfill his long time dream: to be in the Navy, be married, and be a father.

Hans, I will never forget the day you were born. You have brought me so much joy over the years. I am very proud of you. Happy Birthday!

3 comments:

MamaD4 said...

I'm pretty sure his lifelong dream is actually to be a Jedi...

Did you know that September 1st was the first day that he was officially a commander in the Navy? He was "frocked" since last July, but 9/1 was his first official day. Hooray for commander pay and benefits at long last!

I asked him about his birth story last night and he remembered 3:02, but he did not remember which hospital.

DD4 said...

Well, since I don't know what a Jedi is, I'm glad he became a sailor.

And no, I wasn't aware of his official first day as Commander. Way to go, Hans! Congratulations!

Hans, Peder and Heidi were all born in St. Joseph's Hospital in Joliet, Illinois. Hans came on his due date, and for that, I won a beautiful blue baby blanket from a store at which I had filled out my best guess: date and gender.

pete said...

You have every right to be proud. I am glad that Rachel tracked him down 10 years ago or so. Good luck Commander.