Saturday, January 01, 2011

New Year Celebrations

The candy, in the beginning stage

This is just as it is reaching 255 degrees.

Though I like parties, I wouldn't call myself a "party girl." New Year's Eve for me is usually spent quietly at home - watching movies, and going to bed around 10:30. It's not a big deal for me to "see the new year in." Nels and I spent quite a bit of time in the cottage yesterday. We watched Christmas in Connecticut and my recording of the 2010 Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony, which brought back so many wonderful memories of that special day spent with Heidi up in Vancouver. With Nels, I get to do all the choosing. He gets to sit on my lap and purr while being petted. It's working out well.
When I was growing up, we sometimes went to see cousins on my dad's side of the family. The adults played cards; we kids played board games. I recall getting served a glass of 7 Up with about a teaspoon of wine mixed in it around midnight. I remember thinking that was a pretty big deal. My memories in later years are the "midnight watch" parties we had at church. Table or circle games were played and snacks were eaten until around 11:30. At that time, we all gathered in the sanctuary for prayer time and communion. A hymn was sung at midnight (not sure which one), and then we went home. I don't know of any churches that practice this now.

All week long I have been craving popcorn balls. Do you ever get a craving? It seems it won't go away until it's satisfied. Yesterday I looked through my recipe box for the recipe of a childhood neighbor, but couldn't locate it. This afternoon I looked through a bunch of my cookbooks and checked online. I found one recipe that looked fine, so I gathered my ingredients, popped the corn, and began making the candy sauce. I love the look of candy boiling on the stove.

One must be patient when making candy - watching the candy thermometer for that exact temperature. At that time, you take the pot off the burner, add the vanilla, stir, and pour the sauce over the popcorn. I can tell you this: it's DELICIOUS!

1 comment:

MamaD4 said...

We used to get a lot of popcorn balls at Christmas...that does sound good, but nothing that I would ever dare to make. I'm sure I'd start out by burning the popcorn!

Happy New Year!