Monday, March 01, 2010

My Olympic Pin Collection


One of the things I wanted to do while in Vancouver was to trade Olympic pins with folks from various places. I wasn't sure how this would work, but to prepare myself, I bought 10 pins online prior to my trip and was willing to trade 7 of them. The night before we went to Vancouver, Heidi and I shopped at an Olympic store in Birch Bay, Washington, and the owner, a former Olympic athlete, showed me how the trading happens. He said to wear my pins on either a scarf draped over my shoulders, or on a lanyard. I chose the lanyard method.

I placed the 7 pins on the lanyard and proudly sported it on the outside of my coat. I stopped the first person I ran into in Vancouver who was wearing pins. He was from Quebec City and agreed to make a trade with me. After that, I found only two people who were willing to trade. I got one pin from Finland, one from the Moscow 1980 Olympics and one from the Tokyo 1964 Olympics. The rest of them on my lanyard are ones that I bought.

1 comment:

Pat said...

I will want to see all of these pins. What a great souveneir. Sounds like fun to trade with other people. Even though you have posted about the Olympic opener I am going to want to hear what you have to say about it.