Sunday, March 01, 2009

Recipe to whiten old linens

In cleaning out the linen closet yesterday, we came upon a pair of embroidered pillow cases that Heidi's grandmother had made for her years ago. The design is Holly Hobbie. The pillow cases had yellowed with age. So tonight I threw them in the washing machine, but was disappointed to see they hadn't whitened any. Then I remembered a recipe Aunt Liz gave me years ago. Here it is:

1 cup dishwasher powder
1/4 cup liquid bleach (I used Clorax)
1 gallon of very hot water

Stir together and add linens. Soak for 30 minutes. Rinse in clear water.

I made the recipe, tossed in the pillowcases, and a half hour later, wallah! They are very white, and the embroidery colors look bright and beautiful. You may want to tuck this recipe away.

No comments: