Monday, June 16, 2008

Observing the Colors

Last Saturday was Flag Day in America. While Aurelia still slept, I hung my flag on my patio. There was a breeze most of the day, so it waved gently, looking grand. While sitting out there later in the day, it reminded me of one particular afternoon while in Stuttgart, when Hans, Rachel and I were outside watching Josiah and Annika, and other children playing on the playground equipment. The children stopped what they were doing and stood quietly. Then Hans commented, "Oh, they've stopped for 'The Colors.'" He went on to explain that everyone, everywhere on U.S. military bases around the world, stops what they are doing in respect for the raising or lowering of the flag. At that point, I remembered our bus stopping mid-route while on the base in Japan, while the flag was being raised and the National Anthem was being played. I am so proud to fly our flag!

No comments: