Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Another Family Member Has Become a Blogger

My niece, Lynn, has joined the world of blogging. You can check it out here. I'm so happy about this as it sure keeps our family connected.

Many years ago our family kept up each other's news and comings and goings with the 'Round Robin. I'm not sure who started it, but it worked like this: someone, such as my mom, wrote a letter and mailed it to my Aunt Liz. Aunt Liz read it and then wrote her letter and put both letters in an envelope and mailed them to my Aunt Ginny. Aunt Ginny read both letters and added one of her own. Then she mailed them to my mother, who would remove her first letter and add an undated one. This continued for years. Oh, how exciting it would be when the 'Round Robin appeared in one's mailbox.

Eventually this included me, my brother and sister, and my cousins. When it came to me, I would set aside some time to sit down and read each letter. Sometimes this was the only time I would hear from far away cousins. Occasionally we would include photographs. As more family members were included, it would often take 9 months to make the rounds, especially when one would keep it for months and would finally discover it under some other papers, would jot a quick note of apology and get it sent on its way. Of course, an envelope had to get larger and larger.

That 'Round Robin ceased to exist some years ago - I can't really say when. Its replacement has been emails, and now blogs. I love how the blogs keeps my family connected. If you've been thinking about creating one, please do it.

No comments: