Sunday, April 06, 2008

Tutoring Adults in English 101

Saturday afternoon was my first session of tutoring Rosy's mother and grandmother. I arrived at their home and Rosy welcomed me and helped me set up my supplies in the family dining room. She was so cute as she sharpened the new pencils. I started out by asking Maria (Rosy's grandmother) and Maricruz (Rosy's mother) to tell me the English words they already knew, with Rosy and her teen-age aunt, Carolina, acting as my translators. Actually they are familiar with quite a few. Then we moved on to a work sheet with small phrases such as:

Excuse me.
Good afternoon.
Good evening.
Good morning.
How are you?
I'm sorry.
My name is . . .
Nice to meet you.
You're welcome.
Who's calling?

We worked on their practical uses and practiced some dialogues. They did very well. And they thought it was fun when I would say to them in Spanish, "Muy bien!" (Translation: Great! or Very good!)

We worked for about an hour and a half and broke to have a little snack. Maria and Maricruz are very enthusiastic and looking forward to our next lesson. Oh, and they told me they plan to practice the things we went over and asked me to give them a quiz when I return. I don't recall ever asking my teachers to prepare a quiz for me!

No comments: