Friday, April 18, 2008

Equake Shakes Central Illinois Today

Yes, that's right. Around 4:45 am today, residents in Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, and Ohio felt the earth shake. It was a quake that measured 5.2 points on the Richter Scale. The epicenter was in southern Illinois near Mt. Carmel.

I know that is unusual, but I recall it happening when Steve and I lived in Lincoln, Illinois, in the fall of 1968. It was a Saturday morning and I was standing at the kitchen sink, which was filled with soapy water. My hands had been out of the water for well over a minute, when all of a sudden, the bubbles began to move like waves. Weird! Later that day we learned we had had a small earthquake.

This morning I phoned my Aunt Ginny to see if they felt it in Indiana. She said she was actually at her computer and felt the chair move. She thought the cat had bumped it. After hearing the news, she realized she had indeed felt it.

1 comment:

Peder said...

There was an earthquake one year when I was down in Lincoln for a Bible Bowl tournament but I didn't feel it. Others did and there was some minor damage, cracked plaster and such.