Saturday, August 19, 2006

Susan G Komen Breast Cancer Foundation 3 Day 60 Mile Walk


Today I noticed groups of people walking near my home. Most were women; some were wearing pink sun visors. When I got closer to them, I wondered if they could be the Minneapolis walkers for the Susan G Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, because they were wearing some type of identification tag. If they were part of this group, they would have already walked 1 day - for 20 miles, as part of the 3 day, 60 mile course - - each individual required to raise a minimum of $2200 just to qualify to partipate in the walk.

A couple of hours later while driving home from the Farmer's Market, I came upon even more walkers, and then a large "first aid" station. There were banners encouraging the walkers that confirmed my hunch about the purpose of their walk. I decided to pull over to a safe parking place and took a few pictures. I tried to tell those close enough to hear me that my daughter was going to be walking in the same event next weekend in Seattle, and inspite of tears in my voice (if you know me at all, you know how emotional I can get when talking about "my kids"), they seemed to understand me and told me to tell her "thank you." I managed to tell them Thank You as well. What an amazing act of selflessness for such a cruel disease!

The sister of a very good friend of mine was just diagnosed with breast cancer on Wednesday. To Nona, Heidi will be wearing a ribbon and posting a banner for you next weekend. She promises to send photos. Have a good, safe walk next weekend, Heidi and Janelle. God be with you.

No comments: