Monday, May 26, 2014

Memorial Day



MEMORIAL DAY POEM

We walked among the crosses
Where our fallen soldiers lay.
And listened to the bugle
As Taps began to play.

The Chaplain led a prayer
We stood with heads bowed low.
And I thought of fallen comrades
I had known so long ago.

They came from every city
Across this fertile land
That we might live in freedom.
They lie here 'neath the sand.

I felt a little guilty
My sacrifice was small.
I only lost a little time
But these men lost their all.

Now the services are over
For this Memorial Day.
To the names upon these crosses
I just want to say.

Thanks for what you've given
No one could ask for more.
May you rest with God in heaven
From now through evermore.


Author unknown

I dedicate this to my son, Hans, who has already served our country more than half of his life. God bless you and your family, Hans!

Flag raising ceremony in my home town this morning

My grandchildren Aurelia, Leo and Felix

Felix faithfully put his hand over his heart when the colors passed by.

2 comments:

I Love Barbershop said...

It was so fun seeing the three little kids, and also Peder and Sarah. The parade was better than before.
Nice to see Delores again and to have lunch with Steve, David and Donna and Peder's family.
Thanks for posting the pictures.

Pat said...

What adorable grandchildren you have. Melted my heart with the picture of Felix and hand over heart. Poem was touching.