Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Happy New Year 2013!



I think I say this every year, but I can't believe how quickly this last year has flown by. Sometimes it seems like I haven't done much, but when I look back, I had a pretty full year.


  • January - Not much to say about it except that we had a rather warm, snow-less month, which was just fine with me.
  • February - I was lucky to fly to Arizona to spend some time with my cousins Pat and Pudge, Linda, and my sister. While there, we did some touring, and even had a meal with some of the friends of my youth (They are all retired now and spend the winters in Arizona.). When I got home and looked at my photos, I realized I had to get a grip on my weight. In one photo, wearing a new outfit, I couldn't believe how "blown up" I looked. The next week I joined Seattle Sutton and stayed on their program for the next four weeks, losing 7 pounds. Following that, I joined Weight Watchers.
  • March - One Sunday morning, with no notice, I had to take the baton for our ailing choir director, and direct the choir and orchestra for two morning worship services. It was a thrill for me!
  • April - Flew to Virginia to spend some time with Hans, Rachel and their family. It was such a beautiful time to be there, spring flowers blooming everywhere. The kids and I spent lots of time outdoors. Rachel fixed a delicious Easter dinner. All of us took a boat tour of the St. James River in Norfolk. Then on the 13th, Aunt Liz's birthday, our family welcomed Leo (Leonardo Xavier) into our family. He looks a lot like his big sister, Aurelia.
  • May - Construction workers started the work on a new patio and screened in porch at my home.
  • June - Toward the middle of the month, my sister and I flew to Seattle to spend a couple of weeks with Heidi, Chad, Marshall and Brian. We had a great time of going here and there. 
  • July - I hosted the 2nd annual backyard neighborhood picnic. Everyone had a good time, and more attend this year than last.
  • August - I turned another year older! Yes, they keep rolling along. Toward the end of the month, Chad, Heidi, and Marshall drove to Minnesota/Wisconsin. Heidi and Marshall spent a few days with me, and we enjoyed sitting in my completed screened in porch, swimming in my pool, and going to an apple orchard and drove down the Mississippi River road to see the eagles.
  • September - Went to the Minnesota State Fair with Peder and his family and Heidi and her family. This was really fun - in spite of it being a very HOT day! In the middle of the month, I hosted my first porch party. Wow! Was that ever a success!
  • October - Enjoyed taking friends to Scandia for a Swedish tea and then took another group of friends down to meet the Amish in southeastern Minnesota. 
  • November - The highlights include directing the church choir again (this time with notice), and making my Weight Watcher's goal. Since February I have lost 41 pounds! It was worth the effort. I have gotten rid of my "big" clothes and am wearing smaller sizes - some old favorites, and some new. A big advantage is good readings for my blood pressure.
  • December - I sang and directed (one song) in our annual church Christmas concerts - always a highlight for me. On the 21st, I had surgery, spending one night in the hospital. Recovery is going along fine. This morning I finished my "Read the Bible Through in a Year." This has become a good habit for me. I'm ready to begin again for 2013. I'm looking forward to my family gathering today, New Year's Day — Hans and his family, Peder and his family, my brother, sister, and a couple of cousins.  Have a great 2013!

No comments: