Monday, October 10, 2011


This lovely photo of me is in the ER at NYU Medical Center. I spent 8 hours here before I was admitted to the hospital. I'll try to write an entry about this ER in the future. It was something else!

= = =

My trip has come to an end. I am home - I did not get to go on the cruise due to a medical incident.

Saturday, while in the United Nations, I passed out twice. An ambulance was called and I was transported to the New York University Hospital where I spent the next 26 hours. I was released after ruling out a heart attack, stroke, or blocked arteries. During all of this I also experienced internal bleeding and I twisted my ankle during the second fall, which resulted in a bad sprain and chipped bone.

At 6 am yesterday, the medical staff informed me I was not going on the cruise and more testing was done. When it was determined there was nothing heart related, I was discharged to return to Minnesota to have the internal bleeding checked out. I am wearing an air cast on my right foot/ankle and am not supposed to drive for 6 or 7 days.

I was able to get a flight back to Minneapolis last night and am now home recovering. I was impressed with the great care at both airports with those needing wheel chair assistance! This was a new experience for me (hope it will be last!). I will see my doctor on Wednesday for review and to be set up with referrals for a gastroenterologist and orthopedic doctor or podiatrist. Now I have the time off to take care of such visits.

This was very disappointing to not get to take the cruise, but I am thankful it occurred in NYC rather than on the ship or while on shore on an excursion. I was told I was taken to the best hospital in New York City.


Ardy said...

I am sorry that you didn't get to go on the cruise, I know how much you were looking forward to it. We are so thankful that you got such excellent care and that you had travel insurance. We will keep praying that your follow-on appointments in MSP go well and that your ankle heals quickly so you can get out and about soon!

E Manders said...

My Mom told me a little bit about your disappointment! I'm so sorry to hear about this - praying for peace as you go to these doctors and wisdom as they try to figure out what is going on - please let me know if I can ever do anything to help you out!!

DD4 said...

Thank you, Rachel and Emily. I'll update by email after my appointment tomorrow.

Heidi said...

I am sorry this happened. I know how much you were looking forward to this trip. Now that our internet is back up Marshall will have to video chat with you.

carrster said...

Oh that is such a bummer! I'm sorry that that happened & you missed out on your cruise! I hope you're heeling well!