Friday, May 13, 2011

Missing some special women in my life



I have been blessed with many, many wonderful women in my life and I'm thankful for each and every one of them. There are some that I really miss.



Alice. She was always in my life; a friend of my mother and father; one of my Sunday School teachers; came to spend nights with my sister and me for the last seven weeks of school after the death of our mother. She was smart, funny, compassionate, loving, generous, dependable, and trustworthy. I loved her, and I still miss her.



Erna. She was always kind, sweet, generous, thoughtful, down-to-earth, loving, knit perfect mittens, a hard worker, a good cook. Her cookies were wonderful. I was always welcome in her home, even before marrying her son, and again after our marriage didn't work out. She was a great grandmother to my kids. I loved her, and I miss her.



Cassie. I first met her on her 80th birthday. Within a few years, she referred to me as her girlfriend. She was generous, funny, told great stories, appreciated everything, was kind, loving, loved Dairy Queen blizzards and Kentucky Fried Chicken. She made perfect apple pies (only with Harrelson apples) and the best sugar cookies I've ever had. She was a wonderful role model for me. I loved her, and I miss her.



My Aunt Liz. She was always a big part of my life. She was a hard worker, a great story teller, a wonderful traveling companion, generous, loving, compassionate, smart, loved to read, sew, travel, made sure she made our great grandma's plum pudding every Christmas, was eternally happy, always loved children, and felt like a mother to me. I can't tell you how many times each day I think about calling her, only to remember - I can't do that any longer. I loved her, and I miss her.


2 comments:

MamaD4 said...

What a nice tribute!
(I didn't have any of Cassie's sugar cookies, but could they beat yours? I think your sugar cookies are the best!)

Lynn said...

I so agree with Rachel! I have always said, "my Aunt Donna makes the best sugar cookies."