Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Storms

This photo was taken last night from my bedroom window.


Some members of my family like storms. They like the clouds, the wind, the lightning and thunder, and the rain. My cousin, Em, was looking forward to the storms tonight. She even said she loves the storm clouds. She posted this picture of the sky a few weeks ago.

I'm not in that camp. When the weather announcer predicts storms, I get a bit antsy. The closer it gets to the expected time of arrival, I'm checking the radar, listening to the radio (WCCO), watching the news station on TV. If there's any mention of hail in the forecast, I'm especially nervous. In May of 1998, on a Friday afternoon, we had a big storm roll in. Hail the size of golf balls badly dented every one's car in our office parking lot. It broke headlights and shredded window screens, and played havoc on anyone with aluminum or steel siding. Leaves were everywhere. Big trees were down. It was a real mess. I guess storms have brought fear to me ever since.

Today it was very hot -- 94 degrees, with a heat index of 104! The weather personnel were predicting severe storms for this evening, with possible hail and tornadoes. It seems we've had a lot of this unsettled weather this summer. I was thankful I didn't have to be anywhere but home tonight. With my car tucked safely in the garage and my plants on my patio pulled back under the roof, I felt a little more secure. Around 8 o'clock, the wind picked up. Oh, boy. Here we go again. I turned off my computer and TV and unplugged both of them, and proceeded out to my patio to look at the sky. Big, dark gray clouds were swiftly passing overhead. I could hear thunder in the distance. Every now and then there was a little bolt of thunder. Eventually it began to rain. As I sat there, I could feel the air getting cooler. Once when I stood up to check the thermometer, it read 82 degrees. Fifteen minutes later, it was 77.

We never did get anything severe. No hail (Thank You, Lord!); no downed trees. I sat and watched the rain come down for a little while longer, and then I noticed the orange cast on the building across from mine. I hurried inside and looked out my bedroom window. The sky was a gorgeous coral! I got my camera and took a few pictures. The color didn't last long, but I hope I got a couple of good pictures.

No comments: