Thursday, May 28, 2009

An Hour and a Half on the Phone with Tech-Support

After dinner on Tuesday night I turned on my computer to check on blogs and read my email messages - you know, the ones that most of my family send from day to day (hint, hint). To my dismay, I couldn't access the Internet. Every time I tried, I got this message about a virtual connection. I was convinced it was popping up from my former dial-up provider. After getting frustrated, I turned off my machine and went to bed. Last night after choir I tried again. No such luck. Tonight I had an idea to try to accessing the Internet from my Start button. Somehow I thought that would do the trick. No. Nada. Nein.

Suddenly I remembered to look in my "Welcome Package" from my new provider and noticed a phone number for tech support. I turned on my computer, got my clipboard ready with clean paper, and made the call. After working my way through the automated attendant, I was connected to a real live person, Marlin - from the Philippines. At first I was worried. Would I understand him? I shouldn't have been concerned. He spoke perfect English and was very patient. For an hour and a half, he patiently took me through tools, options, etc. He discovered items that were clicked that shouldn't have been, and instructed me in cleaning up temporary files: cookies (not chocolate chip or Oreos) and files. He told me he deletes his once a week. I had NEVER cleaned mine, and therefore it took about 22 minutes for my files to be deleted.

Now I am working on a fast, cleaned up machine and enjoying it very much. It was worth it to spend the time with tech-support.

1 comment:

MamaD4 said...

You may be the only person EVER to be happy after spending 90 minutes on the phone with tech support! I'm glad that you got someone nice and yes, someone whose command of English was good...nothing makes tech support worse than someone who doesn't speak English as a first langugage AND hates their job!