Saturday, June 24, 2017

Reunion with Rosy

In 2007 I started tutoring with the Cedar Valley Church in the One by One program. The program was started to help the many Hispanic children that were moving into their neighborhood. The program had volunteers tutor first through eighth graders—one tutor for each student. I was assigned a little first grade girl whose name is Rosy. Instantly I liked her and she liked me. She spoke very good English. In fact, she would go to doctor appointments with her mother to act as interpreter. She would bring her homework and we would work on it together.


At the end of her third grade I was getting a little weary of spending every Monday night away from home and decided I wouldn't continue. I took Rosy out to eat to tell  her and that's when she told me she wouldn't be coming the following year because she was going to be in another program. So, at the final night of the program that year, we parted company, and to my chagrin, I never attempted to see her again. Here is my last blog entry which shows Rosy.



Fast forward to this week when I was sorting through more bins and boxes in my garage. In one carton, I came upon the Mexican serape I bought in Tijuana, Mexico, in 1972. I had purchased it to decorate the foot of Hans' bed. We had never used it as a cover up. Suddenly I had an idea to take it to Rosy. It would give me an excuse to see her. So this afternoon I walked up to her door, not positive she and her family still lived there. Rosy's grandmother answered the door and she recognized me right away. Then Rosy came to the door and upon seeing me started to cry. We had a great reunion, reminiscing of the things we had done together outside of the scheduled tutoring sessions. It was just wonderful. She has turned into a beautiful young lady.


No comments: