Monday, July 28, 2014

A visit to see where Laura Ingalls Wilder was born

Saturday I went along with Peder, Aurelia, Felix and Leo to the Laura Ingalls Wilder museum in Pepin, Wisconsin. I believe that route is the second prettiest part of Minnesota – down highway 61 from Red Wing to Wabasha. No matter the time of year, it is always a gorgeous sight.

After stopping at McDonald's for lunch and the Nelson's Creamery for dessert (ice cream cones), we made it to Pepin. First off we found a park where the kids could run around a bit.

Leo and Aurelia on the merry-go-round

Next to the park there was a railroad museum. Since it was free, we opened the door and were very pleased to see a sweet, little old woman who was the volunteer. Her story of how the little depot was rescued was really interesting. She is the lone survivor of those who saved it. I think she thought my grandkids were pretty special because she gave each of them a baggie full of tootsie rolls. We spent a nice amount of time looking around and then headed out for the Laura Ingalls Wilder museum. 


(Double click on this photo to enlarge it)

Aurelia looks so sweet in a Laura Ingalls hat.

Part of the museum had an interactive area. This was the one room schoolhouse. I pretended to be the teacher and asked if anyone had a question. I was pleased to see them participate. 

Leo in the museum kitchen. This reminded me of my Great Aunt Ett's kitchen.


1 comment:

Pat said...

How fun! I can only guess that you enjoyed it a lot. Especially being with the kids. I am amazed at how much Aurelia is starting to look so much like Sarah.