Sunday, February 12, 2012

Happy 209th Birthday, Abraham Lincoln


Pat, Janet, Aunt Liz, Linda, and yours truly
Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum in 2009


Happy Birthday to our 16th President! He is one of my favorite Presidents — Abraham Lincoln. He was born 209 years ago today. I don't pretend to be a historian. In fact, I am very far from it. But I know a little bit about him, and I am impressed. I'm impressed with his humble beginnings, and that he persevered, though not always popular.

A few years ago, I went with family and friends to the Abraham Lincoln Library and Museum in Springfield, Illinois. (You can read about it here.) In that single visit, I learned a lot about our 16th President. I learned of his humble beginnings, his desire to help the country he loved, his yearning to free the slaves. He was focused and loved his Maker, and wasn't shy about it. The scenes and wax figures in this museum made his life come alive for me, and I'll never forget it. You should make it a point to go there.


No comments: