Monday, January 23, 2012

Our National Anthem


With big footballs games being played this past weekend , some folks are mentioning the anthem sung by Kristen Chenoweth yesterday at the New York Giants San Francisco game. I listened to a recording of it this morning, and I agree, Kristen sang it beautifully. This brought to mind my favorite recording of our National Anthem. Peter Jennings from ABC, was the commentator for the closing ceremony of Liberty Weekend 1986 — the celebration of the 100th anniversary of the Statue of Liberty. He mentioned having heard many performers sing the anthem during the 3 day celebration in New York City, but was amazed at the rendition from a little known singer from Anderson, Indiana, Sandi Patti. I was watching this program (in fact, I recorded it), and thought this was the most fitting closure imaginable. I have watched it over and over. Tonight I was pleased to see it has recently been posted here. I hope you'll take a few minutes to watch and listen. I never knew there were 3 verses to the National Anthem. I know you're going to love this!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I love the Sandi Patti version too!