Saturday, January 02, 2010

Too Cold to Go Outside!


This morning the thermometer read minus 15 degrees; the windchill was minus 35! The sky was clear - so clear, I could see what remained of the New Year's Eve blue moon! I immediately decided I would stay in for the day. I didn't really need to go anywhere, I have food in the pantry and books to read, movies to watch, and a couple of calendars to be filled in for the start of 2010.

I spent some time on my computer, did some reading, and watched a couple of cooking shows on TV. Around lunch time, I perused my food pantry and staring at me was a bottle of muffin mix I had purchased in Germany last May. The directions were in German, but with the little German I know, I figured why not give it a try. All I had to do was add milk to the line on the bottle; shake it a few times, and pour the mixture into muffin papers. I checked one of my cookbooks to see what temperature to set the oven since the directions on the bottle said, "Ofen auf 200 C Ober-/Unterhitze vorheizen (keine Umluft). The flavor of the muffins were Schaka-Splits, which is chocolate chip. They turned out really good and were a nice accompaniment to my soup. I checked the Internet to see if there was a picture of the product, but the closest thing I could find was this bottle of pancake mix. Rachel, if you go back to that department store where I bought this mix, you may want to pick up some. I think your family might like them.

1 comment:

MamaD4 said...

Donna, if you'd like some more mixes, I can pick some up at Real for you too. I love to go there and look at all of the German foods. Last time we went, I got great German yogurt, tomato cream soup that Hans likes and various Haribo candies...marshmallow mice, I think! And I bought some Christmas ornaments and was thrilled to find supercheap candles that will work in our pyramid...the ones at Kathe Wohlfahrt are SO expensive!