Friday, September 11, 2009

Remembering 9/11



On September 11, 2001, I talked to my Aunt Ginny while walking to work. As I approached my office building, we said good-bye and I made my way into the building and to my department. I stopped in to say hello to my boss, and he told me he had just heard a news bulletin on his radio that a small plane had hit a building in New York City. I went to my computer and once booted up, found a major news station. It was streaming live, showing a video of one of the towers of the WTC on fire. As I sat watching it, the announcer exclaimed a second building had been hit. This was no accident.

I decided to call Hans to get his take on all of this. He was still home and was watching the story on TV. We talked for a little while - not sure how long - each watching the news, when all of a sudden he shouted, "Oh my God! They've just hit the Pentagon! I've got to get to work!"

Next I phoned Heidi. When I got her voice mail, I hung up and tried again. This time it woke her and I told her to turn on the TV. She could give an interesting account of how this day impacted her.

My cousin, Em, wrote about the day here. Very thoughtful.

It is a day I'll never forget. I went to ground zero five years ago - - it's hard to express how I felt seeing it.

No comments: