Sunday, September 16, 2007

Another Delightful Visit with Aurelia




It's so nice having Aurelia live near enough that I can go to see and hold her when I have some time and it's okay with Peder and Sarah. On Saturday Peder was home alone with her as Sarah had a wedding to video. When I got there, she was sound asleep on Peder's chest, so he handed her off to me and I held her for an hour or more. She is so cuddly, stretching and squeaking now an then. She is adorable! After an hour and a half or so, she opened her very blue eyes and studied my face. She is so sweet. Her skin is soft and creamy. Her hair is light brown. She let me hold her little fingers. What a treat it is holding her. I'm so thankful she and Sarah are doing so well ~ Peder is too!

Earlier in the afternoon I attended the memorial celebration service for my dear friend Jolene's father-in-law. I had met him a year ago when Jolene invited me to join her and her family on my birthday. I found her in laws fascinating. They were both educators with years of experience both in the US and in Spain and Japan. At the memorial service, 3 of the 4 kids in the family shared some of their dear memories of their father. Everyone, without knowing what the other was going to say, said they remembered what their father asked them everyday of their lives when they came home, "How was your day today? What did you do today to make the world a better place to live?" I can't stop thinking about that question. I don't remember ever asking that question to my kids, but even so, I believe they are helping the world be a better place anyway. I know I'm going to start asking myself that question and making myself accountable. Thanks, Vern. I wish I would have gotten to know you more. Rest in peace.

No comments: